PAM ENNIS, COUNTY CLERK
MARRIAGE LICENSE INFORMATION & REQUIREMENTS
UPDATED: July 25, 2019
REQUEST FOR COPY OF MARRIAGE LICENSE TO BE MAILED
LEGAL AGE TO MARRY:
Both parties must be 18 YEARS OF AGE OR OLDER to contract for a marriage license in Arkansas.
MALES 17 YEARS OF AGE AND FEMALES 17 YEARS OF AGE §9-11-102
MUST have PARENTAL CONSENT
“Parental consent” is defined as the consent of:
- Both parents of the person under 18 years of age who wishes to enter into a contract for marriage; or
- The custodial parent of the person under 18 years of age if the parents are Divorced and one parent has been awarded custody exclusive of the Non-custodial parent; or
- The custodial parent when the non-custodial parent has surrendered custody Through abandonment or desertion;
- Paternity has been determined by a court of competent jurisdiction and the court has awarded custody to the man adjudged to be the father of the under-aged party; or
- A court-appointed guardian of the person under 18 years of age
Must have Government issued ID for minors and parents. If parents are divorced must have legal documentation showing custody.
17 YEARS OF AGE
IF ONE OR BOTH PARTIES ARE UNDER THE MINIMUM AGE PRESCRIBED IN §9-11-102 and the Female is pregnant:
- In those instances where one or both of the parties wishing to marry are under the minimum age and the female IS PREGNANT, both parties may appear before a judge of the circuit court of the district where the application for marriage license is being made. The circuit court judge, after considering all evidence supplied by the parties, may issue an order directing the clerk to issue a marriage license to the party or parties under 18 years of age and wishing to marry.
- In those cases where the female has given birth to a child of the parties, the parties may petition the circuit court for consent to marry. The circuit court judge, after considering all of the evidence, may issue an order directing the clerk to issue a marriage license to the parties.
- Must have the court order along with proof of pregnancy (letter from doctor) certificate of birth of child.
- Males and females 18 or over MUST present a valid Picture Identification (Driver’s License or ID card issued by the State) AND Social Security Card.
- Males 17 and Females 17 MUST present (1) a valid picture identification (Driver’s License or government issued ID card), (2) a state certified Birth Certificate, (3) Social Security Card, AND (4) Parental Consent (Parent or Parents must appear with the underage party). Other forms of ID may be acceptable ONLY with the County Clerk’s approval.
- All identification must be in English. If translated, must be done by a Certified translator not a notary. See County Clerk for a list of certified translators.
A fee of $60.00 (Sixty Dollars) is required to purchase the license. Cash, Check or Money Order
BOTH APPLICANTS MUST BE PRESENT TOGETHER WHEN THE LICENSE IS
ISSUED: (A Power of Attorney is not acceptable under any circumstances).
MARRIAGE LICENSE: The license, used or unused, MUST be returned to the office of the County Clerk no later than (60) SIXTY days from the date of issuance, otherwise the $100.00 penal bond will be executed upon. (A couple has 60 days from the date the license is issued to be married and to return the license to the County Clerk to be recorded; or if the license is not used, it must be returned unused for cancellation).
WAITING PERIODS: There is no waiting period required unless it is an underage marriage (Act 956 of 2009) then there is a (5) five working day waiting period between purchasing and picking up the license.
MEDICAL OR BLOOD TESTS: None required in Arkansas.
LICENSE USE: It is the applicant’s responsibility to make arrangements for the marriage by a minister or person qualified to perform marriages in Arkansas. No witnesses are required.
MINISTER’S LICENSE RECORDED: Minister’s performing marriage ceremonies in the State of Arkansas MUST have their credentials (ordination Certificate or Minister’s License) recorded in one of the counties in the state of Arkansas. Ministers must complete the information required in the Certificate of Marriage section on the Marriage License. The minister is NOT responsible for returning the license after the marriage ceremony. The applicants are responsible and MUST return the license to the County Clerk’s office to be recorded within (60) SIXTY DAYS from the date of issuance.
COVENANT MARRIAGE: OPTIONAL (ACT 1486 OF 2001) No additional fee.
- The couple entering into a Covenant Marriage agrees to be bound by two limitations
- obtaining a divorce or separation which do not apply to other couples married in Arkansas.
- The couple must have marriage counseling before marriage license are issued
- The couple agrees to seek marital counseling if problems develop during the marriage
- The couple can seek a divorce or legal separation only for limited reasons, as set out in the Act.
- Pamphlet , which outlines the consequences of entering into a Covenant Marriage under Arkansas Law, may be obtained in the County Clerk’s office.
*Couples who are already married may CONVERT their marriage to a Covenant Marriage. Please
contact your local County Clerk’s Office for further instructions.
For the issuance of Marriage License the County Clerk’s Office hours are: Monday through Friday—8:00 A.M. until 4:30 P.M.
PAM ENNIS, POPE COUNTY CLERK
100 WEST MAIN STREET
RUSSELLVILLE, AR. 72801
Updated: July 25, 2019
Pope County does not discriminate on the basis of age, sex, race, religion, national origin, or disability.
Copyright © 2011 Pope County, Arkansas | Platform and Digital Marketing By www.JeffTurnbow.com